The cherry on the cake: that's what the Telenet Yelo Play web platform is. After the mobile apps were revamped, the web platform as well got a major transformation. And Telenet chose icapps to build this challenging project.
A group of seasoned developers and scrum masters teamed up with several Telenet specialists to build the new Yelo Play web platform. The combination of Telenet expertise and insights with iCapps' extensive digital experience made sure the development process went smoothly. The collaboration with a large number of people with different backgrounds proved to be a challenge at times, but it also was a huge enrichment.
A technical masterpiece
It was not an easy task that was laid out in front of the team. Though the front-end web platform is very intuitive, simple and user-friendly, the back-end is more complex. The biggest challenge lay in the extent of the project. The web platform had to be able to stream video content on a myriad of video players and this within all the different browsers, taking DRM into account as well.
So what's new?
- Live television on all your devices. Watching television is no longer confined to your tv screen. You can start watching a show on television, and switch to your laptop or tablet to watch the last part in bed. Just pick up where you left off!
- There's also support for binge view now. This means you can immediately watch the next episode without heading back to the home screen.
- The MyTV section provides you with your recordings and the ones you planned, your favorite shows and the shows you were watching last time, so you can continue where you left off.
- Replay episodes that were broadcasted up to 7 days ago.
- Continuous watching while browsing the web app via a minified player
- A revamped TV guide with the possibility of favoriting channels so they show up front and center
- A curated Discover page with a selection of shows, movies, your recordings, etc.
Overall, the Yelo Play platform has become extremely user-friendly on all devices (laptop, smartphone, tablet and your tv): one 360° experience (to rule them all ;)).
And what's next?
We will continue working with Telenet on the long term. We are constantly optimizing the platform based on user feedback, analyse how it is being used, and prepare future releases. A web platform like this also requires a 24/7 support team. If anything critical goes wrong, we are there to support Telenet.